December 14, 2009

Final Paper Topic

So finals are busting my butt, hence the lack of posts but I'm sure the holidays will bring many more fun internet stuff. In the mean time, I'm currently working on my Digital Media final paper due tomorrow around noon. Here's my topic, which will end up being a lot narrower once I write the paper:


Internet Phenomena and Remix Culture
    My final paper will consist of 3 main topics: Internet Phenomena (viral videos and memes), how and why they become viral in the first place; the Internet, how it serves as a platform for many forms of media – especially audio and video; finally, Remix Culture, how current society is obsessed with the reuse of original content, legalities over copyright infringement, and how the Internet and Internet phenomena correlate to the “procreation” of Remix Culture.
     Internet phenomena are very much present when any user surfs the web. But what is it about these videos or memes that attract Internet users? What causes a video or media in general to become viral? How has this affected communication, in the news and in advertising for example?
     The Internet has become a very large part of technology, especially in the advent of Web 3.0 and the still-present Web 2.0. What is Web 3.0? Why has it shifted from professional content to user content? What makes the Internet different from other media and communication platforms?
     Remix Culture has pretty much taken over all media industries, and continues to be massively produced throughout different mediums. What is the cultural significance of amateur media production? What are the implications of digital media for copyright? Can this movement exist without the Internet?


My final paper will be posted tomorrow (hopefully)!

[UPDATE: Thought it was a bit compromising if I posted an essay here but I did get a B on it!]

No comments:

Post a Comment